(619) 304-3277

Child Custody & Visitation Legal Services

Contact Us To Schedule Your Consultation

Child Custody & Visitation Legal Services

Obtaining child custody and visitation orders that best meet the needs of the children is a difficult task for even experienced practitioners. Especially if your case involves allegations of abuse (verbal, physical, sexual or substance) how the facts of your case are presented to the court is critical to the outcome. Whether during the dissolution process, or when simply trying to set legal orders between co-parents, emotions and defenses always seen to run high between parties; and understandably so. Unfortunately, it is easy for the best interests of the child to get lost in the commotion. As a result, the court will often times apply standard orders while attempting to interpret the parties’ requests through a sea of hostility and name calling. At HLS, we know how to formulate your custody and visitation requests so that they are clear, concise, and impactful, so that the court will have a full picture of your situation. We are experienced in dealing with high intensity cases; often times involving domestic violence and parental alienation. We know how to keep you and your children safe from your partner and the court system.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I best protect my kids?

Depends on the facts of each case. Judges respond to protective parent cases (emotional, physical, sexual abuse) in a variety of ways depending on how the case is put before the court. The best option would be to hire an attorney from the initial start of your case to make sure all proper procedures are followed and the issues are presented effectively and are backed with evidence. It is always an easier fight when care has been taken in the initial pleadings than later on when misinformation or facts that are unable to be proven have been presented and have obscured the court’s ability to see the big picture.

Why do I need to go to court if the other parent and I have agreed to a custody and visitation plan?

Often time’s parents agree to temporary custody and visitation plans outside of court and do not realize that they could be setting a precedent for future court orders. Also, when there is no court order in place, you risk the emotional whims of the other parent interfering with the plan that had supposedly been agreed to. A court order can allow for parent compromise but sets a minimum standard to be followed.

Can the other parent move out of the county or state with our child?

When there is a court ordered custody and visitation plan that is based on both parents residing in a specific geographic location, a parent must obtain a new order from the court to legally move the child elsewhere. When there is no initial custody and visitation order in place, you risk the chance that one parent may move away with the child. An HLS attorney can help you fight for or against a move-away court order.

How does domestic violence affect a custody and visitation order?

When a party has been found to have committed domestic violence in the past, there is a presumption that the accused should not be awarded legal custody. Supervised visitation may also be ordered and the cost of which is usually the burden of the accused.

Contact Us To Schedule Your Consultation

    All materials have been prepared for general information purposes only to permit you to learn more about our firm, Honorable Legal Services, the experience of our attorneys, and our services. The information presented is not legal advice, is not to be acted on as such, may not be current, and is subject to change without notice. The information presented on this website may not reflect the most current legal developments. Further, this website may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. No action should be taken in reliance on the information contained on this website and we disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law. Nothing on this website is an offer to represent you, and nothing on this website is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues.